Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lessons of Motherhood


Last year was my first Mother's Day being a mom and my little Nathan was only a week old. Of course it was special, but this year seems to have even more meaning to me. Maybe it's because, by the grace of God, I made it a whole year as a mom! Last year I was sore from nursing, exhausted, and experiencing a nice dose of "baby blues". This year I have a better sense of what motherhood entails, and I can appreciate the gift of being a mom much more. Thinking back over the year, here are some of the lessons being a mom has taught me.

1. When you are in a hurry, it is inevitable that your child will spit up or poop just as you are about to walk out the door.

2. Being a mom is hard on your back.

3. Nap time is God's way of helping moms stay sane.

4. Children's toys are completely overrated. A box and paper are the preferred toys of choice.

5. A new sense of joy is discovered in hearing the laughter of your child.

6. 7am is the new 10am for sleeping in

7. You will make yourself look ridiculous and crazy all for one smile or laugh from your little one.

8. Priorities drastically change.

9. Women who have 2+ children under the age of 3 have the hardest job. I look up to them.

10. The most important thing that I have come to learn is that God's love for us, his children, exceeds all measure of what I can understand. I know how much I love Nathan, but to know God loves him even more is astounding!

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. happy mother's day. that is such a cute picture! i know you are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete