Saturday, March 27, 2010

Birthday Parties on a Budget


In the coming month I am planning a party for my little boy who will be turning one. I'll need food, paper products, location, favors, decorations, etc. Just looking at this list could break our budget! I of course want to have a memorable and fun party, but not at the expense of spending a bundle. Here's some practical tips I've put together for myself. Maybe you have some ideas too. Please share.

1. Have it at your home or the home of a relative. You could also choose a park. Renting a community center or reception hall is very pricey, so use your own resources.
2. Keep the decorations simple. Blow up some balloons yourself, make your own centerpieces, make a clothesline with decorative ribbon and pictures of your little one's first year.
3. Don't buy character/printed paper products. No one will remember or care if you had plates that said "Baby's first birthday." Go with solid plates, cups, and napkins. To be even more thrifty and green, use your own dinnerware.
4. Plan the party for in between meals like 1:00-3:00 or 6:30-8:00. This will keep you from having to serve a complete meal.
5. Make your own cake. If you are not a natural pastry chef like me, you could bake and frost cupcakes and serve them on a cute cupcake platter.
6. Accept help if people offer.
7. Keep it simple and enjoy the day.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsay! Great blog idea. This doesn't necessarily apply only to birthday parties, but I like to buy pretty paper products after a holiday when they go on clearance at someplace like Target. At Christmas I got lots of packages of plates for 50 cents and napkins for 25 cents. Then I just save it for the next year and don't have to buy anything full price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tip Myra! I need to remember to plan that into my budget after the major holidays.

    ReplyDelete